Sunday, May 26, 2013

A Sunday Reflection on the Meaning of a Meaningful Life

I have been reflecting a lot on what a meaningful life is.  It is easy to be blinded by the media on what success means - a big house, fancy cars, money in the bank etc.  I have been thinking about these variables that I have used before to measure my life and I have noticed these 'variables' I wish to attain have certainly changed as I have changed.

I was asked during a leadership workshop what I had on my bucket list and as everyone listed an exotic vacation, or to own a dream car, I mentioned that if I could grow old to see my daughters grow up and become happy parents, then I would have achieved the only item listed on my bucket list.  Perhaps it is being a parent that has caused these thoughts to strengthen in me but I find myself sometimes slipping back into the clouds of materialism.  Hey, we're all human and desire is perfectly natural.  However, what we practice, we form as habits.  And I have been practicing this feeling of desiring and striving to attain 'variables' for much too long.

Today I had a revelation.....as always, due to my trusty journal.  Meaning from life comes from creating meaning in the lives of others.  Using our creativity for the betterment of this world brings about an inner feeling of accomplishment that transcends any feeling that could be gained from owning a fancy car, or going on an exotic luxury vacation.

Give a lot of yourself,
To receive a lot for yourself.
Have fun, be creative, be daring,
& dream of ideas that encourage sharing.
One day our efforts may mean nothing...
But making this world smile today, definitely means something.

Gautam

1 comment:

  1. Great post.

    I've always organized the items on my "bucket list" in terms of public good and/or service. For example, I'd like to serve my community as a municipal councillor at some point, and I'd like to be on the board of numerous non-profits. The goal is to have as positive an impact on the world as possible.

    In some ways, this "bucket list" has driven my other ambitions - most notably, my ambition to build a solid career. I want to be comfortable enough financially that I don't have to worry about money, and I can focus on doing good.

    However, I suspect you are right about the impact of parenthood - that parenthood will likely result in a significant change to what I think it important.

    ReplyDelete